Thursday, June 14, 2018

Happy Birthday Jerry!

We celebrated 2 birthdays after Jerry's stroke. When he turned 76 two years ago, I kept trying to get him to remember how old he was by singing 76 Trombones in the Big Parade but he never remembered it long. Last year, we had a group over to celebrate his and a friend, Paulo, who share the same birthday. He was happy and smiling. This year, he is even happier--singing and smiling in heaven turning 78. Of course, I guess there are  no birthdays in heaven; however, I will always remember it here in my life. It was strange not to be buying him a birthday present. He was so easy to buy for as he always loved every gift he opened even if he already had a dozen of the item!

My grieving today has been side swiped by my terrible cold. Not being able to breathe well doesn't lend well for thinking about much except the next breath. Lynn and I went out to El Chico, Jerry's favorite Mexican restaurant in Tulsa. He met anyone there for lunch who suggested lunch. When he walked in the door, the waitresses knew him well enough to put in his order for No. 5. The menu has changed so I couldn't order a No. 5 today. But I ate all the things he would have enjoyed--before the stroke. After the stroke, he lost his taste for Mexican food. Of course, there was much he could not eat being on a soft diet but tastes often change after a stroke.

My Georgia daughter, Kara, sent the beautiful flowers pictured. Daisies are some of my favorites as are yellow roses. Jerry called me his yellow rose of Texas.


Psalm 118:28-29 says "You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." God is always worthy of or thanks--even on down days. God's love is always with me even if I can't get a real hug and kiss from my Jerry. Love is not in short supply with God with me every day. I miss Jerry but am so thankful for the 50+ years we had together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox