Monday, June 4, 2018

A New Week--A New Start

Tonight I will start a new phase in my journey of grieving. This is the first class in my GriefShare starting at 6:30 tonight. I am ready to learn what I don't know about the grieving process. Sure, I have grieved other losses in my life but none as enormous as the loss of my husband of over 50 years. This is a loss like no other. Both of my parents has gone on but they are supposed to die before you. Actually, looking at statistics, husbands are supposed to die before their wives. However, knowing that doesn't make the loss feel any less. I just know I am not alone in this process. 

Am I ready for this? How would I know since it is a totally new process for me to journey through. I do know this. My God and my faith were with me as I journeyed through the 22 months of care with Jerry causing me to have no doubts that both will see me through this next step. Depending on God every day of my caregiving was essential to being able to do what I did for my sweet husband. I am quite sure the best way to get through the loneliness of grieving is the same--dependence on God. Psalm 24:18 says "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." The promise that God is walking by my side closely, even holding my hand is the assurance I need to make it through the process.

In this process, I am thankful for:
1. Wonderful memories of my sweet husband.
2. The support of so many people who have prayed for me for so long now.
3. Good friends.
4. Programs like GriefShare.
5. Technology to be able to write about my journey.
6. The knowledge of so many other widows encouraging me I can get through this.
7. The beauty of my garden each day.
8. God's protection each night as I sleep.
9. Church family and friends.
10. The knowledge of God being close to my broken heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox