Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Blessed Travels

Monday morning at 7 a.m., I left Oklahoma City on my longest solitary trip yet. I will be seeing lots of family and friends, but the first little bit is on my own. However, God is right beside me showing me where and how to minister to people. That night, I stayed in Lafayette, LA. I stopped at one hotel and decided against it so went on to the next one. The desk clerk who checked me in, as it turned out, lost her fiance last year from a sudden heart attack. I listened to her story she told through her tears and gave her the comfort I could. When I left the next morning, I left a GriefShare devotional book at the desk for her when she comes in next.

Tuesday was a total Jerry day. I only had about 5 hours of driving to accomplish for the day and used only 1/2 a tank of gasoline. When I got into Mississippi, the visitor center recommended the scenic route 90 along the Gulf Coast. Wow--what beauty! The beaches were quiet and often empty. I didn't stop unless someone else was out (using wisdom in being alone) there but it was often just a few others. I prayed, cried, and missed Jerry a lot. It was very therapeutic.
In one of my grief books, A Decembered Grief, here is the end of a little story that fit my beach time perfectly. "And I sat there for five full minutes gazing at the wonder of it all reflecting that I had just leaned how to move from loneliness to solitude. There is a vast difference." (Liz Carpenter from Seven Choice: Taking the Steps to New Life After Losing Someone You Love.)

Yes I cried because of not having Jerry with me but also learned the joy of solitude especially at the ocean. You will never be alone at the ocean with God's magnificence. A lot of this trip is solitude but it is another step in my grieving journey. Solitude with God is a good thing--it is just the solitude part that needs adjusting to in my new life.

I Thessalonians 4:13 - "Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope." Grieving is not pleasant but as a Christian is filled with joy. Joy in death is only possible with the hope we have as a Christian of a better life. Sorrow and joy can go together--off and on. One minute I am so sad to be traveling with Jerry in a box in the car rather than driving and the next minute I am rejoicing he is singing his heart out in heaven. I can truly not imagine grieving without the hope of salvation! I would never be able to get through it.

Today I am thankful for:

  1. The ocean.
  2. The beach.
  3. Sea shells.
  4. The solitude of the waves rolling up on the short (do you see a pattern here?).
  5. God giving me opportunities to share on my trip even before I get to my first talk.
  6. The Dell technician who worked with me at midnight last night to solve an update gone bad.
  7. Safety on the trip.
  8. Meeting greeters at all the visitor centers who think their state is the best, most beautiful, and greatest.
  9. Comfortable hotels with great breakfasts.
  10. Hope!!!!
Praise God for his beauty, his comfort, his care, his hope, and his companionship!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox