Sunday, July 8, 2018

A Psalm of Grief

The visit in Colorado has been wonderful so far. I gave my first caregiving talk in Broomfield Thursday morning. My friend, Amanda, who hosted me and set me up to talk at her church had 3 people this morning tell her my talk was "so relevant, enlightening, and what we need to hear." My next one is tonight at 6:30 at the church we attended when we lived in Ft. Collins.

While I was sitting in a coffee shop Thursday killing time because it was raining and I couldn't walk where I had planned to, I sat and wrote a Psalm. I plan to write others.

Psalm - Alone!

A prayer of Lois - Widow

Alone! I find myself alone!
God himself said, "It is not good for man to be alone."
And yet, I find myself alone--a woman no longer with my man.

He is not alone but walking the golden streets in God's presence.
He has ended his life on earth, his life after a stroke.
He wanted to stay with me but wanted to go home too.

I rejoice in his new life, his new body, his new home.
I rejoice this life of struggles, pain, heartache is not all there is.
I rejoice his death was "precious in God's sight."

And yet, I am alone!
My life is starting over alone.
I am traveling to see old friends--alone!

But you, O God are here to keep me from being alone.
You are beside me every day as I carry on in my new life.
You make me secure as I lie down at night and rest.

I praise you, O God, for caring that I am alone.
I praise you, O God, for knowing every tear I shed.
I praise you, O God, for meeting my every need.

I praise you, O Jesus, for shedding your blood for me.
I praise you, O Jesus, for being my friend when alone.
I praise you, O Jesus, for walking beside me every day.

I praise you, O Spirit, for indwelling me day to day.
I praise you, O Spirit, for the strength to keep going.
I praise you, O Spirit, for guiding my words as I speak.

Yes, I am not alone!
My God, my Jesus, and my Spirit walk with me daily!
My husband is gone but I am never alone.

Psalm 121:1-3
"I will lift up my eyes unto the hills, whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber." The mountains so remind me of God's magnificence, strength, and  care for me. This is the view from the home where I am staying in Timnath, Colorado. I cannot imagine life without God on my side, holding my hand, giving me strength day to day, and keeping me from being alone.

Today I am thankful for:
1. Worshiping with old friends.
2. The opportunity to share my testimony again tonight.
3. The beautiful mountains of Colorado.
4. Old friends to reconnect with here and gain strength from as well as give strength.
5. Lunch with good friends, Vannah and Marvin.
6. Being in a country home with 30 chickens running around.
7. Coffee on the deck this morning taking in the scenery.
8. God giving me safety on the trip.
9. Good sleep when I am traveling.
10. The hills (mountains) where my help comes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox