Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Remembering

As I sat in worship and took of the emblems of communion, it brought to mind the purpose of communion--to remember. On a recent Sunday, here are the words that came to mind.

Image result for communion


Communion

The simple wafer is taken from the tray.
As I put it in my mouth, my mind is focused.
The symbol of Christ’s broken body in my body.
Reminding me of the excruciating pain he endured.

The juice in its little cup comes next.
Blood was shed as Christ’s body was pierced.
The liquid flows down my throat to remind me
Of the precious blood that flowed just for me.

Remembering is what communion initiates.
Reminding me of the salvation that’s mine.
Rejoicing for the sacrificial lamb’s death.
Rededicating my life back in service to God.

         ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~  ~ ~

We need the weekly reminder to keep the sacrifice in our minds to never forget the immense love indicated by Christ's death. As humans, we need the reminder to help us take our minds off the busyness of this life.

However, with Jerry, I need no reminder to remember him. I still wear my wedding ring. It is so much a part of me after 50 years. Everything in the house reminds me of him. I am sitting in his office at his desk as I write this. The memories are always there--the reminders are everywhere.

So why do we so easily forget about the sacrifice of our Savior? Is our love not strong enough? Do we get over involved in the day-to-day activities? Is our worship of Jesus not embedded into all we do? Remembering His death should be as automatic as remembering my husband.

Maybe I need to add to my morning quiet time how important it is to thank Him for that sacrifice, to tell Him how much I love Him for it; and to commune with Him more than just on Sunday morning. 

Here is the definition of communion:
  1. the sharing or exchanging of intimate thoughts and feelings, especially when the exchange is on a mental or spiritual level.


  1. 2.
    the service of Christian worship at which bread and wine are consecrated and shared.

Yes, there is a Christian definition but I like the other definition of sharing and exchanging intimate thoughts and feelings on a mental or spiritual level. That is exactly what our Lord wants us to do--share with Him all our thoughts on a daily basis!

I Corinthians 11:23-25 - For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” This verse doesn't say we can only take communion on Sunday during worship but says, as often as! We need to be purposeful in making our communion with our Lord daily just as my remembrance of Jerry is daily!

Today I am thankful for:

  1. My sister-in-law, Shirley, arriving today for a 2-week visit.
  2. Heading to Searcy, AR tomorrow to see a friend of hers and hopefully to see some fall colors.
  3. Praying with ladies last night at the prayer session.
  4. Our church wanting to reach out to the community with the gospel.
  5. Good sleep with the cool nights.
  6. Hand bell practice today--what fun!
  7. Family.
  8. Being a part of God's family.
  9. Great memories of Jerry.
  10. The memory of Christ's death for us through our communion with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox