Saturday, October 13, 2018

Missing My Other Half!

Southern hospitality was real where I grew up. Our house in Dallas was the center of activity for all kinds of events from wedding receptions, to showers, to rehearsal dinners, to roller skating parties (yes in the driveway when we had the metal skates), to dinners for everyone who came through town. I didn't know there was any other way to be but hospitable. When Jerry and I got married, we immediately started having people over for dinner. He adapted to it well, and we entertained our entire marriage.

As I said in my Celebration of Life talk for Jerry, we were the Mary and Martha couple.  Jerry never met someone he didn't love. He was drawn to people and they to him. He would meet all sorts of people at church, the store, or just wherever and start loving them. We had company over at the house regularly. I was the Martha. I planned, cooked, served, organized the conversation, and put everything away when it was over. We made a complete couple--for 50 years!

Now I still entertain mostly because I have Tim and Lynn here and that makes it easy to invite others over for dinner. We have also gotten involved with the Friends to International Students Association on the OU campus. I have just gotten paired with 3 female students from Korea. Two were able to come to dinner tonight to join with Milad and Arman from Iran. Today was Arman's birthday so we celebrated with a meal and cake and ice cream. Here is a picture of our table guests.


Here is the difficult part. I am just not complete without my Jerry. I love having people over but want my host husband here with me. I want to be able to talk with him after they leave about the people, share warmth with him, and sit on the love seat in exhaustion with him to rest! There isn't a day where I don't miss Jerry--A LOT!

Ephesians 1:11 (NLT) - "Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan." God does make everything work out according to His plan. I don't understand His plan as His thoughts are higher than mine. (Isaiah 55:) I do know people still need to be loved and feel that in this world. These precious souls from Iran have become our family. They are here permanently. I don't know what all God has planned for me, but I know He has it all figured out. I just have to let Him lead and follow. He knows my heart aches for Jerry, and He comforts me.

Today I am grateful for:

  1. Attending a composting class this morning to make my composting better!
  2. A rainy day but it finally quit.
  3. Wonderful fall weather.
  4. Cooking wonderful Mexican pile up for dinner tonight.
  5. Learning about the Iranian and Korean cultures from our guests tonight.
  6. Meeting new friends.
  7. Reconnecting with friends from LONG ago.
  8. God's beauty still in my garden.
  9. The sweet memories of Jerry every day.
  10. God making everything work out according to his plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox