Friday, November 30, 2018

23rd Psalm for Caregivers

A friend in my Bible Study Fellowship group suggested I rewrite the 23rd Psalm for caregivers. Here is my attempt at that task:


The 23rd Psalm for Caregivers

The Lord is my caregiver, I shall want for nothing.
He makes me lie down and take an afternoon nap,
He leads me besides a running stream.
He refreshes my inner strength.
He guides my decisions as I go through this life.
Even though there will be difficult, impossible situations,
I have no fear of the future because God is beside me.
The world cannot attack me because God’s Spirit is within me.

There are times when I must face those who make me uncomfortable,
However, your presence is always there to hold me up.
I am assured God’s goodness and love are constant companions.
They will be with me throughout this life and into the next,
Where I will live and praise God forever.

I will next rewrite it for grieving. It was a great idea and good practice in rethinking how God takes care of me from a caregiver role.

The twins I help take care of each week have been a great help in my grieving. They will turn 1 year old December 7 and are absolutely adorable! When I get to down in my tears, I drop by to love on them for awhile. When I leave, I feel so uplifted and encouraged. New life is always here to help sooth our grief over those who are no longer here. I will host their birthday party December 9. What fun!

Christmas cheer is just not here yet. I have put up minimal Christmas decorations. The stocking are a definite "no." Talk about a reminder who is no here this year! Maybe by next year, I can rehang the stockings less Jerry. For Christmas, I am going with Tim, Lynn, David, and Kinsey to Kansas City. We are renting an Air B&B in the area. Tim has a good friend there who we will spend Christmas Eve with. The rest of the time, we will do things in the area. We arrive on December 22 and drive back here December 26. My good friends, Paul and Mara from Wisconsin, will arrive December 27 and stay through the anniversary weekend of Jerry's death. They should be a big help to get me through this most difficult time. Here is my tree this year.


Keeping heaven in mind helps keep your life here on earth in line with God's perspective.

Isaiah 9:1a (NLT) - "Nevertheless, that time of darkness and despair will not go on forever." God always promises we will not stay in our state of deep grieving forever. It will pass and better times will come. The grieving is necessary and has actually been going on since the day of the stroke. I can still have great joy in Jerry's new body and new home, but there are just days when crying all day is good for my soul. I am so fortunate to have had a love worthy of crying all day!

Today I am thankful for:
  1. Having the twins in my life to bring joy back to my days.
  2. The season of Christmas when so many look to Jesus.
  3. Having family to go away with to give this year something different.
  4. Being down to my final editing of my book.
  5. The blessings of being able to call God my father--how awesome is that?
  6. The constant care God continues to give me day by day.
  7. Prayer to be in contact with God throughout the day.
  8. Wonderful sleep at night.
  9. The memories--oh the memories!
  10. The darkness of grieving will not last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox