Sunday, December 2, 2018

Holiday of Grief


 This came to me sitting in a coffee shop this morning with Kinsey:

Holiday of Grief

Cheer is everywhere as we enter December.
Stores play joyful Christmas music.
Neighborhood lights brighten the winter nights.
Santas await children in all the malls
To hear the wishes of their little hearts.

Gift suggestions bombard the shopper
Through Internet, newspaper, phones, and social media
To bring happiness to all their recipients.
Parties and concerts clutter our calendars
Filling our days with holiday activities.

But it is my first—another first.
I’ve had my first birthdays and Valentines,
My first Mother’s and Father’s Days,
The first vacation in an empty car.
My first Thanksgiving but now it comes.

Christmas alone—no need to hang his stocking.
Christmas caroling without my amazing bass.
No Santa hat waiting for my husband’s head.
No children in stores sidling up to my Santa
To be noticed by my loving husband.

The tears flow with so many reminders.
The tears won’t stop with the memories.
The tears are this year’s Christmas decor,
The tears of missing my sweet Santa.
The tears of my first Christmas holiday a widow.

The joy of the season is still found
In the same memories that make me cry,
But most of all in the birth of our Lord.
That joy surpasses all the grieving
And promises a reunion some day.

Christmas is all about family yes.
But when part of that family leaves
Whether by death, divorce, or other choices,
It leaves an empty hole in the Christmas heart.
A hole never to be filled again.

Yes, joy to the world the Lord has come!
Find the joy where the joy belongs.
Reach out to those hurting this season.
Cry with them, pray for them, hug them.
The joy is not in the present but in the eternal.

Remember the hurting and those alone,
Take your joy and soothe their hurting.
Send a card, take a gift, sing a carol, say a prayer.
Christmas may not be the most wonderful time of year,
To those it isn’t, share your Christmas spirit.


Luke 2:8-14 - "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,     and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

We all have a great deal to celebrate this holiday season. Yes, it is my first alone and tears flow freely and often. However, as I celebrate this season of remembering Jesus' birth, my sweet husband is singing at the feet of Jesus in heaven. I can be joyful for him and for my future with him. I praise God for the salvation it offers to everyone everywhere in all situations. 


I didn't decorate a lot this year, but the manger scene was a must!

Today I am thankful for:

  1. Teaching ladies class this morning on 2 thankful women in the Bible.
  2. Getting the ladies started on keeping a thankful journal.
  3. An inspiring sermon about Eastern European Missions and the power of getting a Bible in the hands of people.
  4. The power of the Gospel.
  5. Lunch with good friends.
  6. Having Kinsey to spend the morning and afternoon with today.
  7. The holiday season to turn people to Jesus.
  8. The sweet memories of Jerry.
  9. The joys of Christmas and being able to share that with others.
  10. The birth of our Lord Jesus to bring salvation to a needy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox