Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Path


The Path
Inspired by the hiking path at Linville Falls, North Carolina

The path led me from the parking lot.
It was tree-lined, covered with shade.
The shelter all around covered my head
Giving me a feeling of security as I hiked.

The goal as I hiked were the rushing falls.
I followed along the guided path
And the reward of the views to come
Kept me going over the ups and downs.

As I walked along the defined path,
I noticed many side paths off the main.
Their destination was a mystery to entice
The hiker with the lure of the unknown.

The path also had rocks scattered as I walked
Causing me to take caution with each step
Many stairs took me to the goal of the view
With hand rails to use to steady my steps.

Some of the path was downhill and easier to travel
While other parts were uphill traveled with effort.
The downhills were easier creating a respite
But the uphill took greater strength and focus.

As I walked along the path using ever-increasing strength,
I came along a bench—a place of rest and renewal,
A pace to sit, breathe deeply, and refresh
To once again move farther down the path.

The view at the end of the long and lovely path
Was worth the rocks, steps, upward and downward
Bringing me to see beautiful Linville Falls
Giving me rest, peace, joy, and beauty.

My path through life is similar in many ways.
God defines the path through the beauty of abundant living.
He lays out the goal at the end of our path
And provides eternal rest, peace, joy and beauty.

But along the way, it is often challenging travel.
There are rocks of discouragement, depression, and death.
Some rocks are easy to step over in my way
But others take faith and strength from above.

God often provides hand rails for me to hold
As the path goes sharply up or down
Some paths in my life move easily down
But others take greater strength to upward climb.

Many paths along the way cause my attention to stray.
The mystery of the side path draws me away.
Should I see where that path leads into the woods
Even though it is away from my goal ahead?

God gives me my path and holds my hand each day
To strengthen me every day to move toward the goal.
The path is clearly marked if I seek Him
His word becoming my GPS—God Positioning System.

But Satan is also wanting to be my guide along the path
Providing many side paths to lure me away
Putting rocks in my life to slow me down
And wanting to lead me astray with his deceit.

Follow the defined path God provides
Take the benches of rest in His sheltering arms.
Turn to Him for strength along the way
And arrive safely at the goal—the view of your heavenly home.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
My trip ended last week but the recuperation and getting caught up at home has taken some time. Being gone 3.5 weeks is a very long time. However, I wouldn't have cut it any shorter with all the wonderful people and places I saw. Catching up is just difficult.

Much grieving took place along the way on this trip. The ocean is such a healing place--full of God's power and serenity. I treasured every step I took along the beaches.

Isaiah 25:1 - "Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago." Being able to share what God did for Jerry and I during our 22 months together after the stroke can be summed up in this one verse. God was perfectly faithful. He never left us or let us down once. He did wonderful things day by day giving us the special time He did even though it ended in temporary separation. I know from other verses in Psalm 139 that our lives were planned many years ago and written in a book. I need to spend the rest of my life praising and exalting my God for what He did! Will you join me?

Today I am thankful for:
  1. Being able to travel safely as I did for 25 days adding 3,306 miles to my car.
  2. Wonderful rain this weekend bringing fall-type temperatures.
  3. Seeing my friends, Dick and Jeronia, yesterday in Tulsa as he is recovering from a stroke.
  4. Visiting with my brother and sister-in-law, James and Nelda in Tulsa.
  5. Finally getting caught up on sleep, mail, and odds and ends after such a long trip.
  6. Remembering my sweet guy daily with joy and tears.
  7. Having a husband who is worthy of being missed.
  8. Safety traveling to Tulsa yesterday in a horrible rain storm.
  9. Kelly Ann helping me tonight with projects.
  10. Having a God who is worthy of my constant praise for his faithfulness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. L. Cox